Playing together, learning together, achieving together.
The role of the Governing Body
Governing bodies are responsible and accountable for all major decisions about the school and its future. Governors have a legal responsibility to conduct the school with a view to promoting high standards of educational achievement. They set the school’s vision and strategic aims, monitor and evaluate performance acting as critical friend to the headteacher and ensure the school is accountable to those it serves.
Governing bodies are made up of key stakeholders:
- Parents-parent governors are elected by other parents at the school
- Staff – (including the headteacher) teaching staff and other staff are elected by the school staff
- Co-opted- the governing body appoints co opted governors
- LEA- the local authority appoints one or more local education authority governors
- Associate member- appointed by the governing body as members of the committees. Associate members are not governors and are not included in the instrument of Government